Being in Wisconsin, mosquitos a merciless, they will suck all your blood. I bought a Flowtron mosquito repellent lamp off Amazon BK-15D 1/2 acre coverage, unfortunately we used it twice and it stopped working. Bought new bulbs and soon realized that it was the starter. I looked all over the internet and realized that the company was the only one who sold those types of starters anymore. They also weren’t returning my calls to get a new starter bulb or light bulb to see what the problem was.
Doing a bit of research I realized that I could upgrade the starter to use newer fluorescent starters, it would save money and hassle in the future, and hopefully last much longer.
8/3/2017 : Eventually they did return my calls and were nice about sending a new starter, but I didn’t want to be stuck calling them or buying new starters every time they broke, and from the research I did, they break very often.
8/25/2017 : The bulb they “sent out” never arrived, time upgrade starter bulb.
Disclaimer: Follow steps at your own risk!! I am not responsible for any injuries or damage incurred. Also, you will void your warranty by opening and modifying the mosquito repellent lamp.
- Leviton – 600W Medium Bi-Pin Fluorescent Lampholder Starter Base for T8 and T12 Lamps, Brown ($6.47)
- Fluorescent Starter FS-2 (2-Pack) ($6.01)
- Solid core wire ($0 since I had some)
- Deep hate for mosquitos ($0)
- Remove the top of the flowtron unit (two screws on the side)
- Remove the plastic cage from the mosquito lamp ( two screws on the side)
- Remove old starter bulb using two needle nose pliers and pulling each leg out
- Drill hole to install new stater base
- Strip wire, attach to base and run wires into starter bulb openings
- Install new starter bulb
- Close unit back up and test out
- Kill ALL mosquiters
It is easier to follows steps by looking at the video below.